Tuesday 3 January 2012

Imaging



Here is an AP (anterior-posterior = meaning taken from in front)  Xray of my Pelvis taken prior to my arthroscopic surgery. Both hips are dysplastic (dysplasia = abnormal development) with the Left hip (on the right side of the Xray) changes being more marked.


The close up of the left hip has the Centre-Edge Angle measured on it. The angle is formed by a line drawn from centre of femoral head to outer edge of the acetabular roof, and a vertical line drawn through centre of femoral head;
- angles greater than 25 deg are considered normal
- less than 20 deg indicates severe dysplasia (where the socket is too shallow or deformed reducing the surface in which the femoral head articulates)
My Left hip Centre Edge Angle  is measured at 13 degrees indicating severe developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH).


The image above is a CT scan showing a 3 dimensional image of my left hip prior to having the arthroscopic removal of the cam impingement on the femoral head. The image shows a lack of an anterior wall of the acetabulum (socket) which has allowed my femoral head to grow abnormally.


This image is a lateral view of the 3D CT whish again shows a lack of anterior acetabular wall.

The Periacetabular osteotomy surgery will cut the socket out and rotate it so that it sits in a better position providing improved coverage of the femoral head - reducing the wear and tear occuring in the socket and hopefully preserving the joint.

1 comment:

  1. I hope it's not weird that I'm reading your entire blog in one sitting! But the similarities between our hip histories are so eerie, I can't stop reading!

    I was born with hip dysplasia that was undiagnosed (until yesterday). The pain in my left hip is not usually excruciating, but there's always been some type of pain...more like discomfort. I didn't know there was anything that could be done about it, I figured my hip pain was largely due to my track record of gymnastics injuries during childhood. My hips have become so unstable that it is now problematic and really affecting my lifestyle. I am 23 and want to start working on getting my doctorate in nursing practice in the fall, but at this rate there is no way I could navigate the hilly school campus on crutches. You have a cool (however unfortunate) perspective as both a physiotherapist and a patient...whoa!

    My left hip has semi- recently become problematic, but I was born with hip dysplasia that was never diagnosed/treated,

    ReplyDelete