Wednesday 1 February 2012

Mr Jit Balakumar

In November 2011 I had my appointment with Mr Jit Balakumar. Prior to this appointment he had me complete a 12 page hip questionnaire for me to return via email. This questionnaire allowed Mr Balakumar to learn about my family history of hip problems (which was minimal), my physical charasteristics such as height and weight, working status and demands of my job, while also looking at physical and psychological implications from my hip disorder. I found this to be beneficial as he was able to generate a better idea of who I was and my reasoning for getting him to review my hip even prior to meeting me. At my appointment Jit initially completed a physical assessment. He was pleased by my lumbo-pelvic control and stability around the pelvis. Based on the way I moved he was confident that I would be fine without needing any surgery in the near future. It was only when looking at my previous scans that his impression changed. He asked "do you ever limp?" and "does your fiance tell you that you are limping?" It was like he was shocked by the extent of my hip dysplasia on the imaging when compared to my functional biomechanics and movement patterns around the pelvis and hip.

I was referred for a relatively new form of MRI which allowed for better assessment of cartilage quality. The scan is called a dGEMRIC (Delayed Gadolinium Enhanced Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Cartilage). He informed me that this would provide data used to determine if joint preservation surgery would be beneficial or if there is high risk of early failure following PAO surgery due to intrinsic wear within the joint. My dGEMRIC scan showed some early thinning of the cartilage consistent with mechanical damage as a result of my hip dysplasia. It also showed mild trochanteric and iliopsoas bursitis and mild gluteus minimus and medius insertional tendinosis but no tear as of yet. The changes to the gluteal muscles and bursa are expected in ladies above the age of 50 and not commonly seen in a fit active 27year old.

After recieving my results Jit strongly recommended that I go ahead and have the Periacetabular osteotomy. He explained that despite currently having more than adequate control of my pelvis which allows me to be active and complete high level activities such as skiing with minimal consequence, all it would take is for the degenerative changes within my muscles to progress to a small tear and then I would be in a lot of strife! The concern is that it would lead to increased pain and altered biomechanics, eventually resulting in further wear within my hip joint. This would then make the PAO surgery usless as there is no point preserving a degenerative hip and my only option would be a total hip replacement. Plus any further muscular changes would make recovery from the PAO surgery much harder.

So after many years of deliberation I decided that it was time to bite the bullet and book in for my surgery! I chose to book in with Mr Jit Balakumar. This was a hard decision to make as I have a lot of respect for Mr David Young, being one of the Melbourne's top hip surgeons. I have DY to thank for my progress thus far with my hip. Without him I would still be living on constant anti-inflammatory medication and most likely would have had a lot more wear in my joint due to the irregular shaped femoral head. However I found Mr Balakumar a better fit for my needs. He was able to answer my questions relating the the PAO surgery making me feel (for the first time) confident to have this joint preservation surgery. Jit works at the Epworth Hospital and also at The Royal Childrens Hospital. He has completed many periacetabular osteotomy surgeries especially at the childrens hospital. His technique is also slightly different to Mr David Young which will hopefully allow me to commence weight bearing earlier... But I guess time will tell. Only 64 days to go!!

[A great article on this subject is Torin Cunningham, MD; Rebecca Jessel, BA; David Zurakowski, PhD; Michael B Millis,MD; Young-Jo Kim, M.D., Ph.D (2006) Delayed Gadolinium Enhanced MRI of Cartilage (dGEMRIC) as a Predictor of Early Failure after Bernese Periacetabular Osteotomy for Hip Dysplasia. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Let me know if you have difficulty finding it and I can assist.]

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meghan,

    Thanks for writing about your PAO surgery. I was wondering if I could get in touch via email or phone to discuss as I have had this surgery proposed to myself. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jennifer, it has been a while since I have spoken to you. I know that you underwent surgery last Thurs. I hope that you are doing well. Cheers Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Meghan, just read your blog and found it very informative. My daughter is 17 years old and we have just gone through the process of finding out that she has hip dysplasia and that she needs to have hip replacements down the track or, like you, has joint preservation surgery. Whilst the shock of this news has subsided a little o
    in our family, there are a lot of questions arising. I would also like to get in touch just to get your personnal account on your surgery and recovery. Thanks Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Bernadette, I am glad that you found my blog informative. Sorry to hear about your daughter having to go through this process. I am very happy for you and your daughter to be in contact with me. If you wanted to send me an email to meghanmayne@yahoo.com.au with questions, alternatively you can send me your best phone number to contact you on. Kind regards Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Meghan,

    Thank you for sharing your story! I would love to hear more about your surgery and how its helped you a couple of years later as I'm currently considering the surgery.
    Would you mind if i emailed you about this?
    Thanks,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Meghan,

    Thank you for sharing your story! I would love to hear more about your surgery and how its helped you a couple of years later as I'm currently considering the surgery.
    Would you mind if i emailed you about this?
    Thanks,
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jessica, sorry for the long delay in my reply. I don't often log onto my blog anymore and I guess that is a good thing as my hip is not something I need to think anymore.. I guess not having pain means that I can forget about it and live my very busy life!! I am now more than 4 years post op and doing great. I have two girls (almost 3 year old and a 9 month old). My hip managed great during both pregnancies - even during my last pregnancy where I was quite ill that I couldn't keep up my strengthening work for my hip. Despite it getting weaker and me putting on weight associated with pregnancy it has travelled along nicely. If anything it is better than my "good" hip. I have recently just got home from a skiing holiday. Its lovely to be able to ski and not be limited by the pain I used to get. I guess the best way I will know if the surgery has been successful is how long before i will need a THR (it is a matter of when rather than if I will need one or not). Please feel free to email me on meghanbartle@yahoo.com.au if you have any specific questions. Cheers Meghan

    ReplyDelete