Monday 6 January 2014

Keeping it in the family.

On the 17th of October 2013 my husband Sam and I were blessed with a gorgeous little girl who we named Willow Maree. As for most children born in Australia Willow's hips were tested soon after birth for the presence of clicking which could indicate possible developmental hip problems. The paediatrician who tested Willow's hips explained that they felt fine however due to my history of a missed hip dysplasia and the fact that the condition is congenital (an abnormality which is present from birth or hereditary) she would refer her to have an ultrasound done on her hips. Having gone through a lot of drama with my hips both Sam and I decided to play it safe rather than risk letting a problem go undetected and we took Willow for her ultrasound at 6 weeks of age. The imaging procedure was very gentle and Willow tolerated it with nothing more than a slight grizzle when I unwrapped the blanket and woke her from her sleepy state. Willow was positioned on her back with one side of her nappy undone and the ultrasound probe placed on the outside of her hip. The radiographer was fantastic with Willow and made every effort to keep her comfortable - she even made sure that the ultrasound gel was warmed slightly and not freezing like when I had ultrasounds on my growing belly during pregnancy. The whole process for both sides took a total of 30mins, with the only pitfall being the cost of the ultrasound being a few hundred dollars - but I think this is not much to pay for peace of mind! At the paediatrician review we were told that the ultrasound showed that Willow's hips are just within the normal range and there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I had my surgeon Jit Balakumar also look at her scans and he also completed a few tests on her hips. He agreed that they looked and felt good but he has asked that she have one more ultrasound at 12 weeks to ensure that development continues on track.
 
Speaking about family; my dad has recently undergone a total hip replacement after a sudden onset of hip and groin pain. Dad reports not experiencing any previous hip or groin pain. He has however a long history of lower back pain which referred down into his leg, but this was much reduced after back surgery over 20 years ago. Dad's hip and groin pain worsened quickly causing him to limp, so he was referred for an Xray and then an MRI. These images showed that he had severe osteo-arthritis and would need a total hip replacement. Unfortunately the timing of this news was not ideal as my dad was planning on walking my sister down the aisle at her wedding that was only a couple weeks away. Dad went to see the same surgeon who completed my PAO surgery. To help dad get through he underwent an arthroscopic clean out of his left hip to help reduce the debris in the joint cavity and was prescribed medication for his pain. During the arthroscopy Jit was able to get a closer look at the integrity of dad's hip joint and he was surprised by the amount damage that was present especially considering that pain had only recently commenced.
While waiting for his total hip replacement surgery Dad completed a gentle exercise program which I like to call a "pre-hab" or "pre-habilitation" (rehabilitation before the surgery takes place). It allowed for reduced muscle atrophy (wasting due to disuse) and also gave him an idea of what to expect following the surgery.
 
Dad underwent a total hip replacement at the Austin Hospital on the 5th of December. Jit completed the surgery via an anterior approach meaning that he entered the hip through the front rather than cutting through the muscles behind the hip joint. Dad is progressing well following the surgery and is due to see his surgeon again in a fortnight.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Meghan, thank you so much for keeping this blog. I am a 30 year Physical Education/Outdoor Education teacher who has been diagnosed with hip dysplasia and have an appointment with Jit tomorrow (Wednesday 15th Jan) about the possibility of needing a PAO. Am wondering if you are happy for me to contact you if I have any questions regarding the surgery, recovery etc if Jit thinks that is the best way for me to go down. I had an arthroscopy for a impingement 12months ago but have not had much relief from this surgery. If you are happy to discuss things with me is there an email address I can contact you on? Thanks for all your posts and information. I have found it very useful whilst I contemplate this particular surgery. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, Sorry for the delayed reply - I don't get the chance to look on here as often as I would like. How did you go with you appointment last month with Jit? Have you decided if you will go ahead with the PAO or not yet? I am more than happy to chat with you if you have any specific questions. The best email address to contact me on is meghanmayne@yahoo.com.au
      Cheers Meghan

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your baby girl Meghan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Katie, I am so sorry for the long delay for my reply.. life has been rather busy with a bubs at home. How was your appointment with Jit? Your are more than welcome to be in touch with me if you still have any questions please feel free to email me at meghanbartle@yahoo.com.au
    Other good news is that Willow's hips have been cleared and it looks like she doesn't have any of the problems that I had. Phew!!

    ReplyDelete