Friday 30 November 2018

The price of over doing it

It is great being at home, sleeping in my own bed and lying on my comfy couch watching Netflix. However there is also a downside to being back in my natural environment. The temptation to attempt basic household chores such as picking up toys or folding and putting away clothes is challenging to fight. Being a creature of habit I easily fall back into my usual routine and I struggle to sit back and watch the household run without my input. Even the most simple task of taking my dishes to the dishwasher now requires thought and effort. I use a 4 wheel walker with a tray table on top to allow me to do such jobs as I cannot carry anything while partial weight bearing on crutches. 

When booking my surgery I knew that there was never going to be a perfect time. In order to have time to heal I was always going to have to make sacrifices. Especially coming into the silly season there will be events that I will have to overlook. One thing I really did not want to miss out on was my eldest daughter's kindergarten concert which was last night. 

In planning for my first real outing since surgery I took some of my stronger pain medication (Endone) and my husband placed my short-term disabled parking permit in his car. In spite of the permit it was still a minor-feat for my upper body and left leg to get me from the car into the venue. I really enjoyed being out of the house. While sitting on the hard plastic chairs my pain was barely noticeable and I was easily distracted by the adorable children acting out their plays and singing songs on stage. Once home last night I iced my right hip and went to bed with no more pain than I had been experiencing this past week.

Unfortunately I woke this morning with lots of pain and stiffness. So much so that I was scared to move as the pain in my groin would take my breath away. At that moment I realised that I had definitely overdone it yesterday. Looking back it was not a great idea to introduce some home exercises yesterday knowing I had plans in the evening. Although the exercises I completed were very gentle and appropriate for my stage of rehabilitation (exercise bike for 5mins with no resistance and light reformer leg work lying down) the accumulative effect created a sore and sorry Meghan today. Therefore I have learnt my lesson and I have a very lazy day on the couch planned for today. Hopefully back on track on the bike and reformer again from tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment